- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- A pinch of salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or cinnamon for extra flavor
- Prepare the Walnuts: Lay the walnuts out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Make the Caramel: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil.
- Caramelize the Sugar: Once boiling, stop stirring and allow the mixture to cook undisturbed until it turns a deep amber color, which should take about 3-4 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
- Coat the Walnuts: Quickly add the walnuts to the caramel, stirring to ensure they are all coated. If you’re using vanilla extract or cinnamon, add it now.
- Cool the Walnuts: Spread the caramel-coated walnuts back onto the parchment paper, separating them with a fork. Allow them to cool completely.
- Serve or Store: Once cooled, the caramel walnuts can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container.
- Watch the Caramel Closely: Caramel can go from perfect to burnt very quickly.
- Work Quickly: Once the walnuts are added to the caramel, work quickly to coat them and spread them out to cool.
- Adjusting Sweetness: You can reduce the sugar slightly if you prefer less sweetness.
Enjoy your quick and delicious caramel walnuts!